Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Job 9-10

Job 9-10

Scripture Thought (What I Learned):

Chapter 9: Man cannot contend with God

                Job answers Bildad;

                “…how should man be just with God? If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand. He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?” (Job 9:2-4)

                Job continues to praise God and tell of his justice, and greatness. Job’s answer to Bildad seems so much more gracious than Bildad’s harsh and unforgiving words he had for Job in the previous chapter. Job began by agreeing with Bildad’s general statement, that God rewards the righteous and corrects (or judges) sinners.

“How… shall I answer him, and choose out my words to reason with him? …though I were righteous, yet would I not answer, but I would make supplication to my judge. If I had called, and he had answered me; yet I would not believe that he had hearkened unto my voice.” (Job 9:14-16)

                Job has a problem and that problem is very clear… he feels distant from God. How many of us can relate to that? Job clearly indentifies that God does infact answer each and every prayer… but sometimes we do not believe that He has answered us, because perhaps he has answered in a way we do not understand or did not give us the answer we wanted.

                Job continues with is discussion by concluding that man cannot contend with God, and frankly should not contend with Him.

Chapter 10: Why are we born?

                Job gives God a little piece of his mind here…

                “My soul is weary of my life; I will leave my complatin… I will speak in the bitterness of my soul. I will say unto God, Do not condemn me… thou… despise the work of my hands…” (Job 10:1-3)

                Job continues to inquire of God… asking him why he was created… and why he was born;

                “Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together… yet thou dost destroy me.” (Job 10:8)

                Job continues to tell God (and Bildad) that he is “…full of confusion; therefore (he pleads) see thou mine affliction; For it increaseth.” (Job 10:15-16)

                While it may appear that Job is speaking harshly to God, I think Job said it best… he is confused. I would be too, but even with all of his affliction and even with his begging and longing for death he praises God and thanks him for his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment