Thursday, March 14, 2013

Psalms 41-42

Psalms 41-42

Chapter 41: Treachery of Judas Foretold

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

                David starts off by telling the reader that the man who considers the poor will be delivered in times of trouble by the Lord, because a man who takes care of the poor will be a blessed man. David also asks the Lord to “…heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.” (Psalms 41:4). This is a great reminder of how sin works; once we have committed the sin we must understand that to be completely forgiven we must go through a process. I have no doubt in my mind that David was already forgiven of the sin that he had committed, but his soul was still in the healing process.

                We also learn about a future event;

                “…mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.” (Psalms 41:9). This particular verse is a scripture that would be fulfilled much later in John 13:18… “I speak not of you all; I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me” Jesus was talking to his disciples and one of them Judas Iscariot he was specifically talking to, because he would betray Jesus!

Chapter 42: The Righteous Thirst for God; The wicked say… “Where is thy God?”

To the chief Musician, Maschill, for the sons of Korah.

                This is a relatively short Psalm and the most important thing we can understand and learn from this Psalm is that we need to be constantly seeking the Lord as we do for water and sustenance.

                David clearly opens this Psalm; “My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God…” (Psalms 42:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment