Friday, March 29, 2013

Psalms 69-70

Psalms 69-70

Chapter 69: David is Persecuted

To the chief Musician upon Shoshannim, A Psalm of David.

                “They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head…” (Psalms 69:4) exclaims David. At this point David was being persecuted and was not without hate. He explains how he feels by saying that “They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards” (Psalms 69:12). I find this particular verse very funny, because while I was a missionary in Honduras I came across men on the street who were drunk, that did the very same thing. These “drunkards” would harass us and keep us from doing the work on a daily basis.

                David felt very much alone in his time of difficulty “Reproach hath broken my ear; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked from some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.” (Psalms 69:20) Have you ever felt alone in your trials? I know I have, I have sought pity and comfort before in my times of struggle, difficulty, sadness, depression etc. We all go through this, but we need to remember that we are not the only ones going through this. We all have trials in this life, and we need to remember that when we are dealing with people on a daily basis.

                God comforts David and tells him that those who persecute him and cause wickedness will be “…blotted out of the book of the living…” (Psalms 69:28) which we know is most likely a metaphor for those who will receive a full and everlasting life in the presence of the Lord.

Chapter 70: Let God be Magnified

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, to bring remembrance.

                I know that this may seem like a short summary of this chapter, but in all honesty it sums it up well, as it is short.

                “…Let God be magnified.” (Psalms 70:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment