Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 15; Jacob 3-6

Day 15; Jacob 3-6

I am tackling the Book of Mormon in 60 days. My plan is to have the Book of Mormon studied by the end of 2011. During my challenge, I will post a daily blog of my reading, in this blog I will share with you... my thoughts, feelings, opinions and knowledge about the Book of Mormon. Do you have questions? Comments? Please... lets start a discussion. I would be more than happy to answer your questions, comments or concerns!

Request a FREE copy of the Book of Mormon: http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon/
How the Book of Mormon came about: http://youtu.be/FMQEb9A9L2g               
               
Scripture Thought (What I Learned):

Summary of Jacob 3-6: Jacob speaks of the last days, and how went need to be of pure heart, look unto God with a firm mind and pray unto him with faith. If we do this He will console us in our afflictions. In the last days the world will be gathered in again, his servants (the members and missionaries of his church) will help bring forth his good fruit and then the world will be burned and only the good will be left standing.

Chapter 3: "...behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction." (Jacob 3:1)
                This is a great promise that we can all lean on when we are afflicted. If we come to God with a pure heart, he will guide us.
                Jacob finishes this chapter off, by making know the seriousness of fornication, lasciviousness and of all sins, in the eyes of God.
Chapter 4: Jacob wrote: "...for this intent have we written these things, that they (you) may know that we (the people of ancient America) knew of Christ, and we had a hope of his glory many hundreds of years before his coming..." (Jacob 4:4) Jacob makes the point that the purpose of the Book of Mormon is to bring people to the knowledge of Christ and help those who are struggling to understand his word, by offering unto all mankind more of his word. Now we all know that the inhabitants of the ancient Americas, knew of the birth of Christ hundreds of years, before his birth... just like the people of the old world knew (the middle east).
                "Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him, and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren, despise not the revelations of God." (Jacob 4:8) This is very interesting, because it gives us an insight into the ancient inhabitants of America... they believed in revelation and sought to uncover the mysteries of God. They were thankful for more revelation... as we should be too. Do not despise his revelations... including the Book of Mormon.
Chapter 5: Allegory of the Olive Tree (See also: Romans 11:17-24)
                Jacob quotes Zenos about the allegory of the tame and wild Olive Tree. The Olive Tree in the Lord's Vineyard is like Israel and the Gentiles, the scattering and gathering of Israel... the Gentiles will be grafted into the Olive Tree of Israel.
                In this chapter (which is super long), we learn about the Lord's Vineyard... which we can liken to missionary work...
                "And the Lord of the Vineyard caused that it should be digged about, and pruned, and nourished, saying unto his servant: It grieveth me that I should lose this tree; wherefore, that perhaps I might preserve the roots thereof that they perish not, that I might preserve them unto myself, I have done this thing. Wherefore, go thy way; watch the tree, and nourish it, according to my words. And these will I place in the nethermost parts of my vineyard, withersoever I will, it mattereth not unto thee; and I do it that I may preserve unto myself the natural branches of the tree; and also that I may lay fruit thereof against the season, unto myself; for it grieveth me that I should lose this tree and the fruit thereof." (Jacob 5:11-13) God wants his servants to work hard, so that they will not lose one soul or "branch" of the Olive Tree.
                "Wherefore, go to, and call servants, that we may labor diligently with our might in the vineyard, that we may prepare the way, that I may bring forth again the natural fruit, which natural fruit is good and the most precious above all fruits. Wherefore, let us got to and labor with our might this last time, for behold the end draweth nigh, and this is for the last time that I shall prune my vineyard. Graft in the branches; begin at the last that they may be first, and that the first may be last..." (Jacob 5:61-63) This really shows the importance of Missionary work in the last days, God will prune his vineyard one last time before his second coming... and it is the responsibility of the members of the church and the full time missionaries to teach the truths that we know to the world... we must labor diligently and with all our might... this last time.
Chapter 6: The Lord will recover Israel in the Last Days. Then the world will be burned with fire. If we follow God's commandments and come unto him with a pure heart... we can be saved in the last days from the terrible destruction.
                Jacob says something that I think is great wisdom... "O be wise; what can I say more?" (Jacob 6:12). Seriously... be wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment