Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 16; Jacob 7; Enos 1; Jarom 1; Omni 1

Day 16; Jacob 7; Enos 1; Jarom 1; Omni 1


I am tackling the Book of Mormon in 60 days. My plan is to have the Book of Mormon studied by the end of 2011. During my challenge, I will post a daily blog of my reading, in this blog I will share with you... my thoughts, feelings, opinions and knowledge about the Book of Mormon. Do you have questions? Comments? Please... lets start a discussion. I would be more than happy to answer your questions, comments or concerns!

Request a FREE copy of the Book of Mormon: http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon/
How the Book of Mormon came about: http://youtu.be/FMQEb9A9L2g          

Scripture Thought (What I Learned):

Summary of Jacob 7; Enos 1; Jarom 1; and Omni 1: Jacob makes an

Book of Mormon Story Cartoon (for those who don't want to read)
Jacob and Sherem: http://youtu.be/jzahb-78nho
Enos: http://youtu.be/65y9YU1jUNA

Jacob Chapter 7: Jacob makes an end of his writing, by sharing with the readers a story of a man named Sherem, who came to preach unto the Nephites that there was no Christ.
"And it came to pass that he (Sherem) began to preach among the people, and to declare unto them that there should be no Christ... and this he did that he might overthrow the doctrine of Christ. And he labored diligently that he might lead away the hearts of the people, insomuch that he did lead away many hearts... he was learned, that he had a perfect knowledge of the language of the people; wherefore, he could use much flattery, and much power of speech, according to the power of the devil." (Jacob 7:1-4)
Sherem sought to destroy the doctrine of Christ. Jacob makes conversation with him, Sherem seeks to contend with Jacob. "But behold, the Lord God poured in his Spirit into my soul, insomuch that I did confound him in all his words.
                And I said unto him: Deniest thou the Christ who shall come?
                And he said: If there should be a Christ, I would not deny him; but I know that there is no            Christ, neither has been, nor ever will be.
                And I said unto him: Believest thou the scriptures?
                And he said, Yea.
                And I said unto him: Then ye do not understand them; for they truly testify of Christ. Behold, I say unto you that none of the prophets have written, nor prophesied, save they have spoken         concerning this Christ." (Jacob 7:8-11)
Then the story continues with Sherem asking Jacob for a sign that what he is talking about is true, Jacob responds...
                "What am I that I should tempt God to show unto thee a sign in the thing which thou knowest                to be true? Yet thou wilt deny it, because thou art of the devil..." (Jacob 7:14)
                God ends up smiting Sherem as a his sign, Sherem, before, he dies calls the people to gather around him, and confesses that what he had said was not true and that he had lied.
                Jacob ends his account, passing on his writings, and the writings of his family members to his son Enos.
Enos Chapter 1: Enos, the son of Jacob, explains how he received a remission of his sins... he wrote: "And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens. And there was a voice that came unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins be forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed. And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away. And I said: Lord, how is it done? And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou has never before heard or seen..." (Enos 1:4-8) Enos was able to pray and ask God to be forgiven of his sins, and because of his faith in Christ, God granted that unto him, that Enos felt the guilt "sweep away". Enos asks God to preserve the record, that it might be brought forth in the last days.
Jarom Chapter 1: Jarom (son of Enos), write about the how the Nephites kept the law of Moses and many prophets labored to keep the Nephites on the right path.
Omni Chapter 1: Omni (Son of Jarom) writes a little before handing the plates over to his son, Amaron... who then hands the plates to Chemish, who turns them over to his son Abinadom, who turns them over to his son Amaleki.
                Amaleki writes about the people of Mosiah, who lived in the land of Zarahemla. The people of Zarahemla came from Jerusalem. They were carried captive from Babylon when Zedekiah was king of Judah. This provides a very good connection to the Bible. (See: Jeremiah 39:4-8; Jeremiah 52 and 2 Kings 25). According to the Book of Mormon the people of Zarahemla (when arriving to the Americas, before Lehi and his family), came across the people of Coriantumr, who's parents came from the Tower of Babel "...And his first parents came out from the tower, at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people; and the severity of the Lord fell upon them" (Omni 1:22)
                Amaleki makes an end of his writings by reminding us that "...there is nothing which is good saves it comes from the Lord; and that which is evil cometh from the devil" (Omni 1:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment