Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 25; Alma 3-6

Day 25; Alma 3-6

I am tackling the Book of Mormon in 60 days. My plan is to have the Book of Mormon studied by the end of 2011. During my challenge, I will post a daily blog of my reading, in this blog I will share with you... my thoughts, feelings, opinions and knowledge about the Book of Mormon. Do you have questions? Comments? Please... lets start a discussion. I would be more than happy to answer your questions, comments or concerns!

Request a FREE copy of the Book of Mormon: http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon/
How the Book of Mormon came about: http://youtu.be/FMQEb9A9L2g   


If you need to catch up; here are some movies to get you caught up, the following comprises of the readings of Day 18 (Mosiah 4-7) and Today, Day 25 (Alma 3-6):

Abinadi and King Noah: http://youtu.be/acpN2ldr6uM
Alma Teaches and Baptizes http://youtu.be/OGvjiheZiks
King Limhi and His People Escape: http://youtu.be/vTf_IwCIKl0
Alma and His People Escape: http://youtu.be/S27A6ISA6C8
Alma the Younger Repents: http://youtu.be/A-TxEgzppP8
The Sons of Mosiah Become Missionaries: http://youtu.be/Xd8riU7wiS0


Scripture Thought (What I Learned):

Chapter 3: After the war, the Nephites bury their dead and return home. The Amlicites mark their foreheads with red, they become like the Lamanites.  The Lamanites and the Amlicites try to go to war against the Nephites again, and are defeated.

Chapter 4: After the war is over, peace pursues in the land. But many people are still afflicted, because of aftermath. People begin to humble themselves and the church grows by the thousands. Just like we always see, people once they receive what they need start to lift up their hearts in pride and society starts to crumble and the church starts to decline. Alma steps down as chief judge and gives the power to a man named Nephihah. Alma without his civic duty can focus on his church responsibilities.

Chapter 5: After Alma preached in the land of Zarahemla, he heads out to surrounding cities to preach there.
This is what he preaches:
Salvation: On what grounds is a person saved?
                Faith leads to a mighty change of heart, causing you to humble yourself before your maker, and trust in the only true and living God. (Alma 5:10-14)

He then asks the people he preaches to, very thought provoking questions... that we should ALL ask ourselves:

·         Can you look up to God, in the last days, with a pure heart and clean hands? (Alma 5:19-20)
·         If you have experienced a change of heart, can you feel that now? (Alma 5: 26)
·         Have you walked uprightly and blameless before God? (Alma 5: 27)
·         Are you stripped of pride? (Alma 5: 28)
·         Will you persist in supposing that you are better than one another? (Alma 5: 54)
·         Will you persist on turning your backs to the needy and poor? (Alma 5:55)

We also learn that everything Good comes from God and everything bad comes from the devil (Alma 5:40)

Then Alma asks the people:  "...Do ye not suppose that I know these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? Behold, I say unto you they are made know unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me." (Alma 5:45-46). Here we learn an important doctrine, about personal revelation. We all have the right to receive personal revelation, but like Alma, we must be persistent in receiving that revelation... even if we must fast and pray for days.

Chapter 6: The people respond to the message that Alma gave to them. The church grows greatly, Alma then moves to another city, the city of Gideon, and he begins to preach there.

No comments:

Post a Comment