Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 17; Words of Mormon 1; The Book of Mosiah 1-3

Day 17; Words of Mormon 1; The Book of Mosiah 1-3

I am tackling the Book of Mormon in 60 days. My plan is to have the Book of Mormon studied by the end of 2011. During my challenge, I will post a daily blog of my reading, in this blog I will share with you... my thoughts, feelings, opinions and knowledge about the Book of Mormon. Do you have questions? Comments? Please... lets start a discussion. I would be more than happy to answer your questions, comments or concerns!

Request a FREE copy of the Book of Mormon: http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon/
How the Book of Mormon came about: http://youtu.be/FMQEb9A9L2g          

Scripture Thought (What I Learned):

Summary of The Words of Mormon 1; The Book of Mosiah 1-3: J

The Words of Mormon Chapter 1:
                This chapter outlines the importance of the Book of Mormon today...
"And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an aabridgment from the bplates of Nephi, down to the reign of this king Benjamin, of whom Amaleki spake, I searched among the crecords which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this kingdBenjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi. And the things which are upon these plates apleasing me, because of the prophecies of the coming of Christ; and my fathers knowing that many of them have been fulfilled; yea, and I also know that as many things as have been bprophesied concerning us down to this day have been fulfilled, and as many as go beyond this day must surely come to pass—Wherefore, I chose athese things, to finish my brecord upon them, which remainder of my record I shall take from the cplates of Nephi; and I cannot write the dhundredth part of the things of my people. But behold, I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren. And I do this for a awise bpurpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord cknoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he dworketh in me to do according to his ewill. And my aprayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a bdelightsome people." (Words of Mormon 1:3-8)

                Mormon is given the plates that we have already read so far, the stories of Lehi and Nephi, Jacob and his family and King Benjamin. Mormon desires that these plates be secured and combines them with a history of his people (which we shall later read), he hands the plates to his son Moroni, who will continue to pile the Book of Mormon together.

The Book of Mosiah Chapter 1:
                The Book of Mosiah; this Book is very interesting, because of King Mosiah. In Hebrew "Moshia" represents a champion of justice against oppression, appointed by God, whose mission is to liberate a chosen people from oppression, especially by non-violent ways. Remember that as we read through the book of Mosiah.
King Benjamin confers the Kingdom upon Mosiah. Mosiah is chosen as a king over his people and is put in charge of all the records.  The chapter ends with King Benjamin asking that his people be gathered together, that they might listen to him, before he dies.
The Book of Mosiah Chapter 2: King Benjamin has his people gather around a large tower, so that everyone would be able to see him and all would be able to hear him. He addresses his people from this tower... and tells them that he was a fair and spiritual leader, but he counsels them to serve only their Heavenly King, he counsels that those who rebel of God will be punished.
                He starts his address off with power:
 "My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to btrifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should chearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your dhearts that ye may understand, and your eminds that the fmysteries of God may be unfolded to your view." (Mosiah 2:9) Sometimes all we have to do is not trifle over the words of God, but just listen, with open eyes and ears... and let God tell us what is true and what is not true through the Holy Ghost.
                King Benjamin leaves behind much counsel, knowledge and Wisdom, which we will see. I took out what I thought was the most important:
"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn awisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the bservice of your cfellowbeings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17) If we truly want to serve God, we must serve our fellow beings... Love thy neighbor.
" And behold, all that he arequires of you is to bkeep his commandments; and he has cpromised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth dvary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do ekeep his fcommandments he doth bless you and prosper you. And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him. And secondly, he doth arequire that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bbless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?" (Mosiah 2:22-24) King Benjamin reminds us that all God wants from us is to obey his commandments, and if we do he will bless us! How simple is that? Very. He said that we really have no reason to boast, because we are nothing without God.
                " And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and ahappy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are bblessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out cfaithful to the end they are received into dheaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." (Mosiah 2:41) If we just do what God wants, we will have never-ending happiness, all we have to do is obey.
The Book of Mosiah Chapter 3: King Benjamin delivers a treasure trove of knowledge to his people, that we can also benefit from today. King Benjamin continues his address by speaking of Jesus Christ, the Son of God that will soon come... (this was written 124 years before Christ's birth), that he would come down and perform many miracles... again here are the most important parts that I pulled out:
" For behold, and also his ablood batoneth for the sins of those who have cfallen by the transgression of Adam, who have died not knowing the dwill of God concerning them, or who have eignorantlysinned. But wo, wo unto him who knoweth that he arebelleth against God! For salvation cometh to none such except it be through repentance and faith on the bLord Jesus Christ" (Mosiah 2:11-12) We learn very important doctrine here, that if someone dies before they receive the knowledge of Jesus Christ, they will be atoned for by the Atonement of Christ. But for those who have sinned with the knowledge of Jesus Christ will be judged in the end.

                Salvation can only come through Jesus Christ! "And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be ano other name given nor any other way nor means whereby bsalvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the cLord Omnipotent." (Mosiah 3:17)

 The Natural Man is an enemy to God:   "For the anatural bman is an cenemy to God, and has been from the dfall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he eyields to the enticings of the Holy fSpirit, and gputteth off the hnatural man and becometh a isaint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a jchild, ksubmissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." (Mosiah 3:19)
               
                If we want to overcome the natural man, we must become like little children. Submissive, meek, humble, patient and full of love.

"And thus saith the Lord: They shall stand as a bright testimony against this people, at the judgment day; whereof they shall be judged, every man according to his aworks, whether they be good, or whether they be evil. And if they be evil they are consigned to an awful aview of their own guilt and abominations, which doth cause them to shrink from the presence of the Lord into a state of bmisery and cendless torment, from whence they can no more return; therefore they have drunk damnation to their own souls." (Mosiah 3:24-25)

                In the end, all men will be judged by their works, whether they be good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment