Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 7; 2 Nephi 4-7

Day 7; 2 Nephi 4-7


I am tackling the Book of Mormon in 60 days. My plan is to have the Book of Mormon studied by the end of 2011. During my challenge, I will post a daily blog of my reading, in this blog I will share with you... my thoughts, feelings, opinions and knowledge about the Book of Mormon. Do you have questions? Comments? Please... lets start a discussion. I would be more than happy to answer your questions, comments or concerns!



Scripture Thought (What I Learned):


Lehi finishes his counsel to his posterity he shares with them many thoughts... "...for my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and profit of my children." (2 Nephi 4:15)


The scriptures (the Bible, the Book of Mormon, etc) are there for us so that we can profit from them. They can be our guide book to life if we just let it be a daily part of our life.


Lehi finally finishes his council by telling his children: "...why should I yield to sin, because od my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy? Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul. Do not anger becase of mine enemies. Do not slacken because of mine afflictions." (2 Nephi 4: 27-29) Lehi finishes by telling them to put their trust in God amd cleave unto him, because He is the rock of their salvation.
After Lehi's death, the bretheren of Nephi become angered with him  because they think that their younger brother wishes to become a ruler over them. They seek to kill Nephi, and because of this, Nephi is warned to by God beforehand and is instructed to flee into the wilderness with everyone that wishes to follow him. He wanders for several days in the wilderness, until he reaches a spot to pitch his tent.


Those who followed Nephi decide to name the place "Nephi" and take upon themselves the name "Nephi", calling themselves the "People of Nephi". Nephi's people thrive in their new land, reaping an abundance of food and precious things. Nephi instructs them to be an industrious people and to make many things with their hands. Nephi builds up am armory of swords, to protect themselves, just in case Laman and his people come to kill the people of Nephi.


Nephi builds a Temple, like that of the Temple of Solomon (2 Nephi 5: 16) so his people can worship God. During this time God curses the peopleof Laman fordisobeying him, they are cursed with a skin of blackness and become wild beasts in the wilderness, they become a mischeif people.


Nephi continues with his record keeping, and "...engraved that which is pleasing unto God. And if my people are pleased with the things of God, they will be pleased with my engravings..." (2 Nephi 5:32). Nephi essentially says that if someone loves God and knows Him, then they will love His words, in the Bible or the Book of Mormon, they will be pleased to recieve more of His word. They will not reject it.

No comments:

Post a Comment